|[Published: Monday August 06 2018]
US denies role in Maduro 'assassination attempt'
WASHINGTON 6 Aug (ANA) - The White House has insisted it had no involvement in an apparent assassination attempt on Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.
The socialist leader had a speech in the capital of Caracas cut short by a drone blast on Saturday, prompting a live television transmission to be pulled from air as he was whisked away and hundreds of soldiers broke rank in fear.
His wife, Cilia Flores, could be seen looking upwards and wincing just before the broadcast of the National Guard anniversary event came to an end.
Mr Maduro returned to television a few hours later and placed blame for the attack at the feet of domestic political opponents, which he said were backed by financiers from Miami and Colombian leader Juan Manuel Santos.
Venezuelan officials say six "terrorists" have been arrested. One is accused of involvement in an attack on a military base last year, while another is said to have been arrested after anti-government protests in 2014.
Earlier, US national security adviser John Bolton felt the need to deny any involvement on the part of the White House.
"There is no US involvement in this at all," he told Fox News.
''If the government of Venezuela has hard information that they want to present to us that would show a potential violation of US criminal law, we'll take a serious look at it."
Earlier, Mr Maduro called on the Trump administration to "fight" the "terrorist groups" he believed had targeted him.(ANA)
FA/ANA/6 August 2018--------