Africa Map

African Press Agency

African Press Agency Logo
   

 Home
 Culture/Media/IT
 News
 Environment/Natural Resources
 Events
 Religion/Civilisation
 Business/Finance
 Global Conflicts/Terrorism
 Features
 Sports
 Science & Tech
 Economic & Social Development
 Energy/Mining
 Country Profile
 Useful Links
 Contact us

Home

Syria/UNBack
[Published: Monday July 02 2018]

 Syria war displaces 270,000, UN


DAMASCUS 2 Jul (ANA) - At least 270,000 people have fled their homes in south-western Syria since the military launched an assault on rebel-held areas two weeks ago, the UN 

says.

Many of those displaced by the fighting in Deraa and Quneitra provinces have headed towards the borders with Jordan and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.

But neither country has said it will allow an influx of refugees, sparking fears of a humanitarian "catastrophe".

Government forces have been advancing with the help of Russian air strikes.

On Sunday, rebels in the major town of Bosra al-Sham reportedly agreed to lay down their arms and accept President Bashar al-Assad's rule.

More than 130 civilians have been killed since hostilities escalated, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a UK-based monitoring group.

Deraa and Quneitra had been relatively calm for almost a year because of a "de-escalation" agreement brokered by the US and Jordan, which support the opposition, and Russia, a 

staunch ally of the government.

But Mr Assad set his sights on regaining full control of the provinces after defeating rebels in the Eastern Ghouta region outside the capital Damascus in April.

UN officials estimated only six days ago that up to 50,000 people had fled their homes in rebel-held towns and villages in response to the government's intense air and artillery strikes. 

By Monday, the figure was more than five times higher.

"We were expecting the number of displaced in southern Syria to reach 200,000, but it has already exceeded 270,000 people in record time," Mohammad Hawari, a spokesman for 

the UN Refugee Agency in Jordan, told AFP news agency.

Up to 70,000 of the displaced are reportedly gathered near the closed Nassib border crossing with Jordan, where many families are being forced to live in makeshift shelters or out in 

the open, with limited access to food or water.

"We lost our children, our houses, our places to take shelter," one woman at a camp told AFP news agency on Sunday. "We are sitting on the ground. We have no water to wash our 

hands. We have no water to drink, no food to eat."

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Raad Al Hussein warned of a humanitarian catastrophe in Deraa and urged neighbouring countries to provide safe passage to those 

wishing to flee the violence.(ANA)
FA/ANA/2 July 2018---------

North South News website

Advertise banner

News icon US/Refugees
News icon Koreas/Talks
News icon Israel/Gaza
News icon US/Senate
News icon Germany/Emissions
News icon US/China
News icon Russia/Israel
News icon Amnesty/Cameroon
News icon Yemen/Amnesty
News icon US/PLO

AFRICAN PRESS AGENCY Copyright © 2005 - 2007