Africa Map

African Press Agency

African Press Agency Logo
   

 Home
 Country Profile
 Useful Links
 Contact us

Home

Libya/ChristiansBack
[Published: Monday May 14 2018]

 Libya to return bodies of 20 beheaded Egyptian Christians

 
MISRATA, Libya  14 May (ANA) - Libya will return to Egypt on Monday the bodies of 20 Egyptian Christians killed in 2015 by Islamic State in its former Libyan stronghold of Sirte, a Libyan  security official said.

The bodies were recovered in October after the area where they were buried was recaptured from the jihadist group.

The Coptic Christians were beheaded on a beach in February 2015 wearing orange jumpsuits, according to a video posted by Islamic State.

Their bodies will be flown from the western city of Misrata to Egypt, a Libyan official said, adding that there was an additional victim from Ghana. A total of 21 people were beheaded in the incident.

Islamic State took control of Sirte in 2015 and lost the city late last year to local forces backed by U.S. air strikes.(ANA)
FA/ANA/14 May 2018----------
 

North South News website

Advertise banner

News icon Nicaragua/Activists
News icon Russia/China
News icon IS/Syria
News icon Sanders/Election
News icon Kagame interview
News icon US/Mexico
News icon US/Venezuela
News icon IS/Syria
News icon India/Myanmar
News icon CAR/UNICEF

AFRICAN PRESS AGENCY Copyright © 2005 - 2007