Africa Map

African Press Agency

African Press Agency Logo
   

 Home
 Culture/Media/IT
 News
 Environment/Natural Resources
 Events
 Religion/Civilisation
 Business/Finance
 Global Conflicts/Terrorism
 Features
 Sports
 Science & Tech
 Economic & Social Development
 Energy/Mining
 Country Profile
 Useful Links
 Contact us

News

DR Congo/protestBack
[Published: Sunday August 25 2013]

 Goma - Scores of demonstrators took to the streets of Goma in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo on Saturday after three people were killed when a shell struck the city. 

Government forces and M23 rebels have blamed each other for the attack.
 
The artillery round struck a densely populated area of the city at 8am, killing three residents and wounding several others.
 
“The population has been very agitated since M23 [rebels] fired a bomb into Ndosho,” army spokesman Col Olivier Hamuli said from Goma. The UN peacekeeping mission Monusco also blamed the bombing on the militia holed up in the hills overlooking the city.
Police firing into the air
 
Angry protesters seized the bodies of civilians killed in the shelling and took them to the city centre, where large demonstrations continued throughout the morning. “The police have been firing into the air and using teargas, but there are too many people for them to control,” a Goma resident said.
 
Mobs set fire to tyres and set up barricades on several streets across the city, which borders Rwanda.
 
Monusco’s military spokesman Lt Col Félix Basse said that successive rotations of UN attack helicopters had been pounding M23 positions for a second day since early morning.
 
He added that the aim of the air bombardment was to push the M23 rebels beyond the Kibati hills north of Goma, and put their artillery out of range of the city.
 
UN representative Martin Kobler condemned the indiscriminate and unacceptable attacks against the civilian population, saying he had "ordered the MONUSCO force to react in the strongest terms possible to these horrifiying and unqualifiable crimes.”
 
Rwanda accusations
 
M23 spokesman Col Vianney Kazarama denied responsibility for Saturday’s attack on Goma, accusing government forces and UN peacekeepers instead.
 
In an open letter to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon, M23 president Bertrand Bisimwa also blamed government forces for earlier shelling in which four Goma residents died on Thursday.
On Friday, the Rwandan government accused the Congolese army of firing artillery rounds into its territory, without causing casualties.
 
“The nature and pattern of these shellings suggests that they are not occurring accidentally,” Rwanda’s defence spokesman Brig Gen Joseph Nzabamwita said in a statement.
 
DRC armed forces spokesman Col Olivier Hamuli rejected the accusation: “If it is proven  that rounds were fired into Rwanda, they must have come from M23,” he said. “M23 received reinforcements from Rwanda all night long,” he added.
 
United Nations inspectors and advocacy groups have documented extended Rwandan support for M23 since the rebellion started more than one year ago, but Kigali has always denied the charges.
 
On Thursday, Reuters reported that Rwandan diplomats had tried to water down a draft UN Security Council resolution condeming M23’s attacks on civilians by blaming the recent violence on both government and rebel forces. The planned resolution was then dropped. -(ANA)
AB/ANA/ 25 August 2013  - - -
 

North South News website

Advertise banner

News icon US/Church
News icon EU/Ireland
News icon Amnesty/Cameroon
News icon SA/Cannabis
News icon Zambia/Aid
News icon Liberia/Banknotes
News icon Yemen/Children
News icon Trump/Nominee
News icon N Korea/Missiles
News icon US/Refugees

AFRICAN PRESS AGENCY Copyright © 2005 - 2007